Really enjoyed the recipe. Still don't have the hang of cooking couscous though.
Moroccan Chicken with Almond Couscous
Two of the best features of this Moroccan recipe are that standard pantry spices coat the chicken, and the chicken and sauce are made in the same skillet. If you don't have couscous, boil-in-bag rice—either brown or white—makes a quick substitute.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 590
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Protein: 53.8g
- Carbohydrate: 57.3g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 188mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 725mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 12 whole pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chicken, combine first 9 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on one side. Turn chicken; remove skillet from heat. Combine reserved flour mixture and shallots; add to skillet. Stir in 1/4 cup broth and dates. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Place skillet over medium heat; stir in 1 cup broth. Cook 1 minute; stir in cilantro. Return chicken to pan. Cover; remove pan from heat.
- To prepare couscous, combine 3/4 cup broth, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cumin in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in almonds. Serve with chicken and sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note