I think this is a sophisticated dish that would really impress guests! The recipe is kind of time consuming, but you can mix the spices and store them in a jar and cut the shallots a day ahead of time. Next time I would add more shallots and dates as they are the crown of the dish, but the chicken was tender and juicy with just the right amount of spice (I didn't have coriander and only used half the amount of Paprika as I don't like spicy dishes though). I don't have a skillet that can go in the oven so I switched the dish to a jelly roll pan covered in foil. After switching it once putting the dish back in the skillet without the chicken for one minute at the end seemed pointless so I just skipped it and didn't use the last cup of broth.
Moroccan Chicken with Almond Couscous
Two of the best features of this Moroccan recipe are that standard pantry spices coat the chicken, and the chicken and sauce are made in the same skillet. If you don't have couscous, boil-in-bag rice—either brown or white—makes a quick substitute.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 590
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Protein: 53.8g
- Carbohydrate: 57.3g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 188mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 725mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 12 whole pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chicken, combine first 9 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on one side. Turn chicken; remove skillet from heat. Combine reserved flour mixture and shallots; add to skillet. Stir in 1/4 cup broth and dates. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Place skillet over medium heat; stir in 1 cup broth. Cook 1 minute; stir in cilantro. Return chicken to pan. Cover; remove pan from heat.
- To prepare couscous, combine 3/4 cup broth, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cumin in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in almonds. Serve with chicken and sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note