Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Apricots
Photo: Kate Sears; Styling: Gerri Williams for James Reps
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 543
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Protein: 42g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 146mg
- Sodium: 905mg
- 1 chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 lb., cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Small pinch saffron threads, crumbled and dissolved in broth, optional
- 10 to 12 dried apricots, halved or quartered if large
- 1 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Rinse chicken with cool water and pat dry. Combine flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, shaking off excess.
- 2. Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When foam subsides, cook chicken, turning often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes (work in batches if necessary). Transfer to a slow cooker. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. of fat from skillet.
- 3. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. (If pan begins to scorch, add some of the broth and continue stirring.) Add garlic; sauté 1 minute longer. Stir in paprika, cumin and cinnamon and stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds (mixture will be dry). Pour in broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring to pick up any browned bits. Boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker.
- 4. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours. About 1 hour before chicken is done, scatter apricots and olives over chicken and sprinkle with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and spoon pan juices with apricots and olives over and around chicken. Sprinkle with almonds. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note