Moroccan Beef Stew with Couscous
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 519
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 47g
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 63g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 740mg
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- 1 onion (3/4 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salad oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 1 package (about 2 lb.) cooked boned beef pot roast with gravy
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1. In a 12-inch nonstick frying pan or a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onion in oil until limp, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2. Add cumin, coriander, cayenne, and turmeric and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often.
- 3. Discard any solidified fat from beef and sauce. Scrape sauce from meat into pan. Cut beef into 3/4-inch cubes and add to pan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is hot, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover pan, and remove from heat; let stand until broth is absorbed and couscous is tender to bite, about 5 minutes. Pour couscous into a wide bowl. Spoon stew over couscous and sprinkle with mint.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes