Yield: 1 1/2 cups (serving size: about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 67
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 2.3g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 92mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1. Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender (do not brown), stirring occasionally. Sprinkle flour over onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth; bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Strain mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl; discard solids.
- 3. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg, if desired.
- 4. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Return sauce to pan, and place over medium-low heat. Add Gruyère cheese, stirring until smooth. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments