This rich mornay sauce is the secret to a irresistible Croque-Madame, a twist on a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Top with an egg for the ultimate brunch dish.
This recipe goes with Croque-Madame
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole or 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Gruyère or Comté cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. (Do not let mixture brown.) Add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a low boil, and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese. Use immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note