Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 5 minutes.
This recipe goes with Croque-Madame
Yield: Makes about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole or 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Gruyère or Comté cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. (Do not let mixture brown.) Add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a low boil, and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese. Use immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments