- 3 (1/2-ounce) packages dried morel mushrooms, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup port wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Place morels in 2 cups boiling water; let stand 5 minutes. Remove morels with a slotted spoon, reserving broth. Strain broth, discarding any sandy residue in bottom of pan. Chop morels. Set morels and broth aside.
Heat butter and oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add fresh mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until onion is browned; add morels, wine, and vinegar. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Add reserved broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.
Combine flour and water, stirring until smooth. Add to mushroom mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until thickened and smooth. Stir in half-and-half and remaining ingredients. Cook 5 minutes. Serve over Yukon Gold Mash.