Morel-and-Asparagus Salad with Frisée and Butter Lettuce
This light, simple salad highlights poached morels and asparagus with a combination of frisée and butter lettuces.
More From Food & Wine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 36 small fresh morels, rinsed, or dried morels, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends discarded, asparagus halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch lengths
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head medium butter lettuce, torn
- 2 tablespoons (small) chervil sprigs
- Argan oil, for drizzling (optional; see Note)
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the morels and stock, cover and cook over moderately high heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the asparagus, cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and cook uncovered until the broth is nearly absorbed, 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the frisée, butter lettuce and chervil and toss to coat. Arrange the morels and asparagus on plates and mound the salad alongside. Drizzle with argan oil, if using, and serve.
Argan oil, which has an intense, nutty flavor, is available at zamourispices.com.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note