more instant oatmeal
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/4 cup(s) dried apple diced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup(s) raisins
- 1 1/4 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) instant dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- Oatmeal Recipes
- These homemade oatmeal recipes pack a lot more fruit than the instant oatmeal packets you buy at the store. It amazes me that most of the little pieces in store-bought oatmeal packages, wistfully referred to as fruit, are artificial. For Apple Cinnamon Crunch, I stock up on locally grown apples in the fall and crank up the dehydrator.
- For a boost of 75 calories, try these oatmeal recipes with milk. Combine two tablespoons of instant dry whole milk with ½ cup of water and stir. I usually pour about half the milk over the oatmeal and drink the rest.
- When preparing these oatmeal recipes, keep an eye on the pot and stir frequently. Once the water gets absorbed, you’ll need to remove the pot from the stove. Instant oatmeal cooks up easier than old fashioned oatmeal, but you sacrifice a little of the nutritional value if you go that route. For instant oatmeal, bring the fruit to a boil first and then add the instant oatmeal. Cook for about a minute and remove pot from stove.
- Apple Cinnamon Crunch Oatmeal
- •½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
- •¼ cup apple slices, dried
- •1 tsp sugar or more if desired
- •½ teaspoon cinnamon
- •¼ cup raisins
- •¼ cup granola cereal
- •1¼ cups water
- Milk Option:
- •2 tbsp instant dry whole milk
- •½ cup water
- At Home:
- For more information about dehydrating apples, see dehydrating fruit.
- Place oats, apples, sugar, and cinnamon in a 4 x 6 plastic bag. Place granola cereal in a 3 x 5 plastic bag and raisins in another 3 x 5 plastic bag. Enclose the two smaller bags inside the 4 x 6 bag with the other ingredients. I package the raisins separately because I don’t want the moisture from the raisins migrating into the other ingredients.
- If you plan on serving milk over your oatmeal, pack two tablespoons of dry milk in a 2 x 3 plastic bag.
- On the Trail:
- Combine all ingredients except granola cereal with 1¼ cups water. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for a minute or two. Stir frequently and reduce flame to prevent the oatmeal from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Place pot inside insulating cozy for a couple of minutes to let the flavors mingle a little longer.
- Prior to serving, top with granola cereal. Mix milk separately.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by shoppinshoop and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
more instant oatmeal Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch