Moravian Tea Cakes
These traditional Moravian Tea Cakes are simple, cake-like cookies made with butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and leavening ingredients. These tea cakes get their distinct flavor from the addition of lemon extract and ground nutmeg. Traditionally these cookies are served plain, but you can decorate with frosing and sprinkles if you wish.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and lemon extract.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl. Gradually add to creamed mixture, stirring well after each addition.
- Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a heavily floured surface; cut dough with assorted cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets, and cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note