Moravian Sugar Cake
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 cup hot mashed potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Combine potatoes, 1 cup sugar, shortening, 1/4 cup butter, and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir until shortening melts. Stir in yeast mixture.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until spongy.
- Stir in eggs and flour to make a soft dough. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and repeat rising procedure 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough in half; pat evenly into 2 greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pans. Cover and repeat rising procedure 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Press slices of butter into dough in rows at 1/2-inch intervals. Top each slice of butter with 1 teaspoon brown sugar. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cinnamon over each cake. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This