- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- (9-inch) coconut piecrust
- Flaked coconut, toasted
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar, flour, and salt in top of a double boiler; add milk, stirring well. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Gradually stir about one-fourth hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture. Cook 15 minutes over boiling water, stirring frequently. .Remove from heat; stir in butter and bourbon. Cool.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into custard mixture; spoon filling into coconut piecrust. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This