I've made this recipe twice and enjoyed it both times. Be sure to use a flavorful broth and don't be afraid to experiment with different veggies!
Mongolian Hot Pot
Photo: Jan Smith
This is a popular soup in northern China. Cooking goes quickly, so you'll want to prep all the ingredients first. Simmering the soba noodles in the broth helps thicken the soup.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 197
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Carbohydrate: 24.2g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 633mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces flank steak, thinly sliced and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 7 cups thinly sliced bok choy (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 (14-ounce) cans less-sodium beef broth
- 4 ounces uncooked soba (buckwheat) noodles
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 1/2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Heat a small Dutch oven over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef mixture to pan; stir-fry 1 minute or until browned. Remove beef mixture from pan; set aside.
- Add bok choy, mushrooms, carrot, and green onions to pan; stir-fry 2 minutes or until bok choy begins to wilt. Add water, hoisin, and broth; bring to a boil. Stir in noodles. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until noodles are done. Stir in beef mixture and vinegar. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; drizzle each serving with 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes