Followed recipe exactly, was too sweet, too gooey, and directions for mung bean noodles was confusing. My package gave two methods of preparation: soak in hot water then stir fry and just fry. I fried them and hope that was right. Will not be making this again!
Forget take-out when you can have savory Mongolian Beef sizzling and to your table in less than 30 minutes.
More From Coastal Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak or flank steak, cut into very thin strips
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 to 2 ounces mung bean noodles or cellophane noodles
- 4 tablespoons stir-fry oil or vegetable oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 white or yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 6 green onions, sliced diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- Chili-garlic sauce or sriracha
- 1. Toss steak in cornstarch until well coated; let stand 10 minutes. Fry noodles according to package directions; set aside.
- 2. Heat wok over high heat until a few drops of water evaporate immediately. Swirl 1 tablespoon oil in pan to coat. (If using a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.) Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper. Bring to a boil; cook 4 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Transfer mixture to a bowl; wipe wok clean.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok over high heat (medium-high, if using a nonstick skillet). Add white onion, and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl.
- 4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok over high heat (medium-high, if using a nonstick skillet). Add half of reserved beef, and stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes or until meat is browned and edges are crispy. Remove from pan, and repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining beef. Stir in cooked onion, reserved sauce, and green onions. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over fried noodles with chili-garlic sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note