I made this tonight with bottom round steak, minus the salt, and am so glad I did. I did double the sauce and was glad I did, the amount was just right. Mongolian Beef is one of my favorite Asian foods and this recipe did not disappoint. The flavors in the sauce were just perfect, not too sweet and with almost the perfect amount of heat. I might increase the chili paste just a little next time. I made the sauce first, before beginning my meat and veggie prep (we served stir fry carrots and broccoli on the side, with rice) and noticed that the sauce had already begun to thicken by the time I poured it over the cooked meat and scallions in my wok. Based on that, I'm giving serious thought to using the sauce as a glaze for beef skewers as an appetizer for my next summer grill party. I'm pretty sure it will be a big hit. Try this, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 9.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 517mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 16 medium green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1. Combine first 8 ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- 2. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger, minced garlic, and beef; sauté for 2 minutes or until beef is browned. Add green onion pieces; sauté 30 seconds. Add soy sauce mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
This recipe originally ran in Cooking Light December, 2009 and was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note