Love this. Next time will add some Parmesan cheese to the squash mixture, maybe a touch to the cracker crumbs as well.
Mom's Squash Casserole
Loosely cover the casserole with aluminum foil halfway through the baking time so that the crackers don't overcook.
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini squash, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and divided
- 2 cups round buttery crackers, crushed
- Cook zucchini and squash in boiling salted water until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes; drain and mash. Add onion, egg, salt, pepper and half the melted butter.
- Pour mixture into a greased 13"x9" baking pan. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs; drizzle with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for one hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note