Mom's Fried Chicken
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
- 3 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) package chicken pieces, skinned
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- Combine 3 quarts water and 3 teaspoons salt in a large bowl; add chicken. Cover and chill 1 hour. Drain chicken, and rinse with cold water; pat dry.
- Whisk together egg and 1 cup water.
- Combine remaining 1 teaspoon salt, flour, garlic powder, and pepper in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Dip 2 chicken pieces in egg mixture. Place pieces in bag; seal and shake to coat. Remove and repeat procedure with remaining pieces.
- Heat oil to 360° in a Dutch oven. Fry chicken, in batches, 16 minutes or until golden, turning twice. Drain on paper towels.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes