Mommy's Watermelon Rind Pickles
- 1 large watermelon, quartered
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 1/2 quarts water, divided
- 1 3/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons cracked allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- Cut pulp from watermelon rind, leaving a small amount of red pulp on rind. Reserve pulp for another use. Cut rind into 1-inch cubes, and place in a large bowl.
- Stir together salt and 2 quarts water. Pour over rind. Cover and chill 8 hours. Drain; rinse well.
- Combine rind with water to cover in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine remaining 2 cups water, vinegars, and next 5 ingredients in Dutch oven or very large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture becomes a thin syrup. Add rind, and simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until rind becomes translucent.
- Pack hot rind mixture into hot jars, distributing lemon and spices evenly and filling to 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process in boiling water bath 20 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Mommy's Watermelon Rind Pickles Recipe at a Glance