Mom's French Onion Soup
"Onion soup a comfort on cold day" by Michael Hastings. Recipe Swap. Recipe from Cathy Bledsoe. Classic French Onion Soup. Beefy flavor may be tamed by using half beef broth and half chicken broth. Soup can be made with sweet onions, mozzarella instead of the traditional Swiss cheese and the addition of Worcestershire sauce to boost the flavor. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: December 28, 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 cup(s) thinly sliced onions--about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/3 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 6 cup(s) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon(s) Worchestershire sauce, optional
- French bread slices
- 1/2 cup(s) Swiss (or mozzarella) cheese, grated or sliced
- 1. In a large pan over medium to low heat, cook onions, sugar, black pepper and oil; keep stirring for 20 minutes, or until caramelized.
- 2. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Slice French bread and toast it. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls, add bread and cheese on top. Put under broiler until melted.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note