- 1 boned, tied pork shoulder or butt (about 4 lb.)
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 1 firm-ripe tomato (1/2 lb.), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 dried ancho or dried pasilla chili (about 1/2 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chili
- calories 363
- caloriesfromfat 234 %
- protein 24 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 9.6 g
- carbohydrate 8.5 g
- fiber 1.3 g
- sodium 256 mg
- cholesterol 85 mg
How to Make It
Rinse pork and put in a 5- to 6-quart pan. Add onion, tomato, tomato juice, broth, and brown sugar. Rinse dried chili, break off stem, and shake seeds from pod. Add dried chili and chipotle chili to pan.
Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced, 3 to 3 1/2 hours, occasionally pushing meat aside and stirring sauce to be sure it's not sticking.
Supporting meat with 2 slotted spoons, transfer to an 8- or 9-inch-wide pan, fat up.
Bake meat in a 350° oven until very well browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Cut and discard string. With 2 forks, tear meat into large chunks; keep warm.
Meanwhile, skim and discard fat from meat juices. Boil juices over high heat until reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. Whirl, a portion at a time, in a blender until smooth.
Put pork in a bowl; pour sauce over meat.