- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Powdered sugar
How to Make It
Combine egg yolks, egg, and 3/4 cup sugar in a medium mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until well blended.
Combine flour, baking powder, and spices in a small mixing bowl; stir well. Gradually add to egg mixture alternately with molasses; beat well.
Cook chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring constantly, until mixture melts. Add to batter, mixing well. Stir in bourbon and pecans.
Spoon batter into a well greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over cake, and cut into 3- x 1-inch bars.