Molasses Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Photo: Karry Hosford
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 41.7g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 369mg
- Calcium: 147mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Place buttermilk and next 5 ingredients (buttermilk through egg) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan with a narrow metal spatula; remove from pan. Peel off wax paper; cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, place powdered sugar, lemon rind, and cream cheese in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spread the frosting over top of the cake. Cut into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Molasses Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts