These were great! When I first mixed them and put them in the oven, I was concerned, because they didn't look at all like baked beans, but they came out looking "right" and the flavor was great. Very easy - will make these at the cabin this summer! I used yellow and orange peppers rather than green, because that's what I had in the fridge. Served with the Chipotle slaw (CL) and BBQ ribs. 1/2 recipe makes enough for 3-4 people (especially if you add extra peppers and onions).
Molasses Baked Beans
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 358
- Fat: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 638mg
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 (15.5-ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Sauté first 3 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven until tender. Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375°, stirring occasionally, 3 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note