Mocha Latte Cupcakes
Our Mocha Latte cupcake is a double shot of flavor. Espresso powder gives a deep, rich flavor to the chocolate cake. We spread on a thick layer of Vanilla Frosting, drizzle it with caramel and chocolate, top it off with sprinkles—and you don't have to wait in the drive-thru for it.
- Mocha Cake:
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 to 2 tablespoons instant espresso
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups fine granulated sugar or castor sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract or vanilla extract
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Vanilla Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- Chocolate jimmies
- Caramel Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together boiling water, cocoa, and espresso until smooth; let cool. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate extract.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
- To prepare Vanilla Frosting, beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Make 3 cups.
- Frost each cupcake with Vanilla Frosting using metal tip no. 12.
- To prepare drizzle, cook butter and sugar in a 2-qt. heavy metal saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is caramel-colored, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and slowly add cream, stirring constantly until blended. Return to heat, and bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- To prepare ganache, cook cream in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until it begins to steam (do not boil); remove from heat. Place chocolate in a glass bowl. Slowly add hot cream to chocolate, beating with a whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is well blended. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Makes about 2 cups.
- Drizzle each cupcake with caramel and chocolate, and top each with chocolate jimmies.
At Dreamcakes Bakery, we use icecream scoops to place a uniform amount of batter in each baking cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This