So wonderful - like a frozen Starbucks mochaccino - the perfect blend of chocolate and coffee.
Mocha Ice Cream
This decadent homemade chocolate ice cream recipe gets its rich flavor from brewed coffee and semisweet chocolate and its creaminess from an egg custard made with whipping cream and half-and-half.
- 1 (8-ounce) package semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 4 egg yolks
- Microwave chocolate in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice; stir in brewed coffee. Set chocolate mixture aside.
- Bring whipping cream, half-and-half, 1/2 cup sugar, and coffee granules to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and coffee dissolve.
- Beat yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar at high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour hot cream mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate mixture. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Pour chilled mixture into freezer container of a 5-quart hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour. Serve ice cream with cookies, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note