Mocha Fudge Cakes
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Topping: coffee ice cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 6 (1-cup) ramekins or soufflé cups. Line bottoms with parchment paper (3-inch rounds), and grease paper. Set aside.
- 2. Melt chocolate in a double boiler, or microwave at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring twice.
- 3. Place instant coffee granules in a small bowl. Add hot brewed coffee, and stir to dissolve. Stir in coffee liqueur. Beat butter and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar in a separate bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add egg yolks, and mix until blended, scraping down sides of bowl. Add melted chocolate, and mix to combine. Add coffee mixture, kosher salt, and flour, mixing to combine.
- 4. Clean mixer blades. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat to medium-soft peaks. Fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture, one-third at a time. Divide batter among prepared ramekins, filling each three-fourths full. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Rotate pan, and bake 10 to 12 minutes more or until cakes rise slightly above ramekin rims and tops feel set but slightly soft in center. Remove from oven, and run a small knife gently around ramekins to loosen cakes. Let cool 5 minutes (cakes will fall slightly), and loosen from ramekins again. Let cool completely.
- 6. Loosen cakes fully, turn out into your hand, remove parchment paper, and place upright on individual serving plates. Top with a scoop of coffee ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts