I had absolutely NO problems with this cake at all. However, I did make a three changes: I exempted instant coffee since I felt that it would be one too many flavours with the apples, spices, pecans and chocolate. Instead of milk chocolate I switched to semi sweet. Lastly, I used Arkansas Black apples (which are my all time favourite) instead of Granny Smith. I keep these changes every time I bake this cake. Yes, the batter was a little thick for me but nowhere near as thick as other people have mentioned. ANY batter with fresh fruit in it is going to be a little thick/dry because the juice from the fruit adds extra moisture during the baking process! I am quite OBSESSED with the brown butter frosting. The first time I followed this recipe I accidentally only made half the amount so I made a chocolate ganache frosting for between the layers. It's decadent without being overly rich. This is now an autumn staple in my house, I make it at least three to four times a season!
Mocha-Apple Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
Photo: Jim Franco; Styling: Annette Joseph
Yield: Makes 12 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (about 2 lb.)
- 2 (2.6-oz.) milk chocolate candy bars, chopped
- Browned Butter Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Beat sugar and next 4 ingredients at high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer 5 minutes. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Add apples, chocolate, and pecans; beat just until blended. Spoon into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3. Bake at 350º for 28 to 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour). Spread Browned Butter Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Mocha-Apple Bundt Cake: Omit Browned Butter Frosting. Prepare batter as directed; spoon into a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan. Bake at 350º for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 2 hours).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings