Mixed Vegetable Pickles
- 1 quart sliced small cucumbers (1-inch slices)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- (1 1/2-inch slices)
- 2 cups sliced celery (1 1/2-inch slices)
- 2 cups small whole pickling onions
- 2 sweet red peppers, cut into 1/3-inch strips
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into flowerets
- 1 cup salt
- 1 gallon cold water
- 6 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 fresh hot red pepper, sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- Combine cucumber, carrot, celery, onions, sweet red pepper, and cauliflower in a large glass, ceramic, or stainless steel container. Dissolve salt in water; pour over vegetable mixture. Cover and let stand in a cool place 12 hours. Rinse and drain 3 times.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, hot red pepper, and mustard and celery seeds in a stainless steel stockpot. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add vegetables. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring gently several times, until thoroughly heated.
- Pack vegetables into hot sterilized jars; cover with syrup, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling-water bath 15 minutes.
- Note: The spices may be tied in a cheesecloth bag and discarded before packing into jars.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers