Mixed Seafood Salad
Brimming with a combination of six types of fresh seafood, this simply seasoned salad could be the star of your dinner. Use any combination you like. Flavorings are minimal to allow the seafood to shine. To ensure the octopus becomes tender, it needs lengthy cooking in barely simmering water. Cook the seafood a day ahead, and then refrigerate; toss with remaining ingredients a couple of hours before serving.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 247
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 38.8g
- Carbohydrate: 5.1g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 237mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 608mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound cleaned squid
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 pound cleaned octopus
- 1/2 pound cooked lobster meat, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 tails)
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Bring 6 cups water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squid; cook 3 minutes or until squid is just tender. Remove squid from pan with a slotted spoon. Plunge squid into ice water; drain. Cut squid into 1-inch pieces. Place squid in a large bowl.
- Add shrimp to boiling water; cook 3 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp from pan with a slotted spoon. Plunge shrimp into ice water; drain. Add shrimp to bowl with squid.
- Place a vegetable steamer in pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Arrange scallops in steamer; cook over simmering water 6 minutes or until done. Plunge scallops into ice water; drain. Add scallops to bowl. Cover scallop mixture; chill.
- Remove steamer from pan. Add octopus to simmering water; cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until fork-tender (add additional water, if necessary, to cover octopus.) Plunge octopus into ice water; drain. Rub off skin. Cut octopus into 1-inch pieces. Add octopus, lobster, and crabmeat to scallop mixture. Add juice and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); toss gently to combine. Chill for at least 2 hours. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note