- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms—stems discarded, caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms such as cremini, sliced 1/8 inch thick, and oyster mushrooms, caps
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 teaspoon white or blond miso
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins, optional
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
How to Make It
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shiitake and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until tender and starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet. Add the mixed mushrooms and cook over moderately high heat until any liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms start to brown, 5 minutes. Add the onion and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cover and cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 4 minutes.
In a bowl, whisk the coconut milk, mustard, harissa and miso. Add to the skillet with the shiitake, raisins, capers and stock. Simmer over low heat, stirring, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.