- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 Vidalia onions, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 12 small fresh sausages (such as sweet Italian with fennel, chicken apple, or lamb)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 6 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: lime wedges
How to Make It
Grill bell peppers, uncovered, over medium-high heat, turning often, 15 to 20 minutes or until charred on all sides. Place in a paper or plastic bag; seal and let stand 5 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers, remove and discard seeds; core and chop into large pieces, and place in a bowl. Set aside.
Grill onion, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side; remove to a platter, and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Grill sausages, uncovered, turning occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Place on a platter, and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
Toss bell peppers with olive oil, vinegar, and basil; place on a large platter. Season with sea salt and pepper. Place onion and sausages on top. Serve warm with buns or lightly grilled flour tortillas, and garnish, if desired.