- 1 small head Boston lettuce
- 1 small head Bibb lettuce
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 large shallots, halved
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced fresh mushrooms
How to Make It
Rinse lettuces, and separate leaves. Let leaves stand in cold water to cover in a large bowl 30 minutes. Drain well, and pat dry with paper towels. Tear leaves into bite-size pieces.
Bake walnuts in a shallow pan at 350° for 10 minutes or until toasted. Stir in butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Pulse shallots in a food processor until minced. Add remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, vinegar, and next 3 ingredients. With processor running, pour oil through food chute. Add 1/4 cup walnuts, and process until smooth.
Toss lettuce and mushrooms with 1/2 cup vinaigrette; top with remaining 1 cup walnuts. Serve with remaining vinaigrette, if desired.