Very salty and even cut the broth to a 2/3 broth 1/3 water ratio. Omit salt at end too. Otherwise tasty and healthy (if you ignore the bacon!). Omitted the potatoes to cut down on the carbs some. Will make again, easy to vary with your vegetables on-hand.
Mixed Greens Chowder
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
Yield: about 6 quarts
- 12 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh mustard greens, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh collard greens, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh turnip greens, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound bacon slices
- 2 cups diced potato
- 1 cup diced purple onion
- 1 cup diced turnip
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and return to skillet. Add diced potato and next 4 ingredients; cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes. Stir into greens mixture, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Serve with cornbread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This