Mixed Grain Pilaf
Notes: With characteristic open-mindedness, the West has led the country in experimenting with grains. You can make this nutty pilaf up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Reheat, covered, in a microwave oven at full power (100%), stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 163
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Protein: 5.5g
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Sodium: 56mg
- Cholesterol: 6.2mg
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), chopped
- 2 carrots (1/2 lb. total), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or water
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan, stir nuts often over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes; pour from pan.
- 2. Turn heat to medium-high and add butter, onion, carrots, garlic, and parsley to pan. Stir often until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add barley and rice. Stir often until barley is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- 4. Add broth, sherry, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in bulgur, cover, and simmer until grains are tender to bite, about 15 minutes longer.
- 5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour pilaf into a bowl and garnish with toasted nuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note