I have been making these since they 1st appeared & they are my husband's favorite. The longer the meat marinates the better, but I've had good results even with only a couple hours in the marinade. Serve with Fiesta Rice (CL 2007), tomato salad & corn muffins.
Mixed Fajitas with Peppers and Onions
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia E. DeGaris
These mixed chicken-and-steak fajitas feature traditional Mexican flavors such as cumin, lime juice, chili powder, and fresh cilantro. Serve with refried beans and rice for a complete meal.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 tortilla, 2 ounces meat, 1/2 cup onion mixture, 2 tablespoons tomato, and 2 teaspoons cilantro)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 378
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 26.8g
- Carbohydrate: 38.7g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 444mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (about 6 limes)
- 2/3 cup beer
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breast
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 2 large onions)
- 2 cups red bell pepper strips (about 2 peppers)
- 2 cups green bell pepper strips (about 2 peppers)
- 12 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded tomato (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Trim fat from steak, and score a diamond pattern on both sides of steak.
- Combine juice and next 7 ingredients (juice through garlic) in a small bowl. Divide marinade equally between 2 large zip-top plastic bags, adding steak to 1 bag and chicken to the other. Seal bags, and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or overnight, turning bags occasionally. Remove steak and chicken from bags, discarding marinade.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Place steak on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and cook 10 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Place chicken on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers; sauté 10 minutes or until onion mixture begins to brown.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon steak or chicken, onion mixture, tomato, and cilantro down center of each tortilla; roll up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This