Mixed-Berry Spoon Cake
Photo: © Lucy Schaeffer
- 4 pints strawberries hulled and quartered (2 pounds)
- 2 pints blackberries (12 ounces)
- 2 pints raspberries (12 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- Make the filling: In a bowl, toss the berries with the sugar and cornstarch and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the batter: Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, lemon zest, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and vanilla. Whisk the liquid into the dry ingredients until evenly moistened, then whisk in the melted butter until smooth.
- Spread the filling in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spoon the batter on top, leaving small gaps. Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling and a toothpick inserted into the topping comes out clean. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note