Definitely seems to need less than 40 minutes. Even less than 36.
Mississippi Mud Pie
Photo: John Kernick; Styling: Kim Ficaro
Don't be tempted to use Dutch process cocoa powder in the crust or the pastry will be tough. However, it has a mild chocolate flavor and dark brown color perfect for the filling.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 43.5g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 162mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon 4.5 ounces (about 1 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 4.5 ounces flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until blended. Add shortening and chilled butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly pour ice water through food chute, processing just until blended (do not allow dough to form a ball); remove from bowl. Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Lightly sprinkle dough with flour; roll to a 10-inch circle. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Fold edges under, and flute.
- 4. To prepare filling, place 3 tablespoons butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until butter and chocolate melt, stirring well to combine. Place vanilla and egg whites in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes). Gently fold melted chocolate mixture into egg white mixture.
- 5. Weigh or lightly spoon 3.4 ounces flour and 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and dash of salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Fold flour mixture into egg white mixture. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note