I have made these and they are absolutely scrumptious! We love chocolate and peanut butter flavors together so I added some Reeses PB chips (like chocolate chips but pb flavor) to the batter before baking and I know this isn't traditional MS Mud cake, but I think it was even better!!!
Mississippi Mud Cupcakes
Here's a cupcake version of the classic Southern chocolate sheetcake that's filled with marshmallows and chopped pecans and topped with a rich chocolate frosting.
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10.5-oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- Chocolate Frosting
- 1. Place pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
- 3. Microwave 1 cup butter and semisweet chocolate in a large microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- 4. Whisk sugar and next 5 ingredients into chocolate mixture. Spoon batter evenly into 24 paper-lined muffin cups.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until puffed. Sprinkle evenly with 2 cups miniature marshmallows, and bake 5 more minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, and cool cupcakes in muffin pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans, and place on wire rack. Drizzle warm cakes evenly with 1 1/4 cups Chocolate Frosting, and sprinkle with toasted pecans. Reserve remaining 3/4 cup frosting for another use.
To serve remaining Chocolate Frosting over pound cake or ice cream, microwave reserved 3/4 cup Chocolate Frosting in a medium-size microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 15 seconds or until warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts