I'm not sure what the reviewer below is talking about, because for this cake recipe, you use/make the base batter (the link at the top of the ingredient list - for Chocolate Velvet Cake Batter), and then follow the directions on *this* page to make the frosting to go on that cake batter recipe. I'm not sure what "previous version" of this recipe you're talking about either, because the "recipe giver" is Southern Living - who has at least 6 other "Mississippi Mud Cake" recipes listed on this site. I don't know where you got so confused, but this recipe & the frosting that goes with it are very easy to understand. (I hope that other review hasn't scared anyone off that wanted to actually try making this version of this recipe.) Good luck! :)
Mississippi Mud Cake
- Chocolate Velvet Cake Batter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured aluminum foil-lined 9- x 9- x 2-inch square pans. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; sprinkle each cake evenly with 2 cups miniature marshmallows and 1 cup pecans. Return to oven, and bake 5 more minutes or just until marshmallows begin to melt. Remove from oven, and let cool on a wire rack.
- Bring butter, milk, and cocoa to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat; whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla. Drizzle evenly over cakes in pans. Let cool completely. Cut cakes into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This