Uncle Martin would make these for us when we visited from Cali. I loved watching him make them. I'd always try to steal a few from the first batch. He'd always try to get me with the spoon. This is by far the best recipe. No restaurant can beat these puppies! They go great with fried fish and slaw.. Don't forget Grandma Nina's amazing meringue pie! There is nothing better. Miss those days. SC
Mississippi Hush Puppies
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
This hush puppy recipe is a favorite of the Catfish Institute in Belzoni, Mississippi. Substituting beer for milk makes these lighter and tangier.
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or beer
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note