I have been making this recipe for years. Everyone who tries them, including me, says they are the best hush puppies ever! The recipe stands on its own....no changes. Sometimes I make them ahead of time and just reheat them on a cookie sheet in the oven. They taste like they were just made. Leftovers, if there are any, are great reheated in the oven. These are absolutely the best!
Mississippi Hush Puppies
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
This hush puppy recipe is a favorite of the Catfish Institute in Belzoni, Mississippi. Substituting beer for milk makes these lighter and tangier.
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or beer
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads