- 1/4 cup dried katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups water
- 1 (3 x 4-inch) piece kombu (edible kelp)
- 3 tablespoons white or red miso (soybean paste)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed soft or firm tofu (about 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion tops
- calories 73
- fat 2.7 g
- satfat 0.3 g
- monofat 0.7 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 6.1 g
- carbohydrate 6.3 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 428 mg
- calcium 76 mg
How to Make It
Place bonito flakes on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; thinly slice mushroom caps.
Combine 4 cups water and kombu in a medium saucepan; bring almost to a boil. Remove from heat; add cheesecloth bag to water. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove and discard kombu and cheesecloth bag.
Combine miso and 3 tablespoons soup broth in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until miso dissolves.
Add mushrooms and tofu to soup; cook over low heat 3 minutes or until tofu is warm. Remove from heat; stir in miso mixture and green onions. Let stand 1 minute.