If you like miso soup, you'll love this one. Easy to make and the beer really adds a special something to the broth. The seafood isn't cheap, but the soup is filling.
Miso Seafood Stew
Paired with: Longboard Island Lager.
This delicately yeasty lager from Hawaii tasted so good with the miso that we poured some right into the stew.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 304
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 48g
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 886mg
- Cholesterol: 142mg
- 4 quarter-size pieces fresh ginger
- 1 strip kombu kelp*, about 1/4 oz.
- 1/2 cup loosely packed bonito flakes (katsuobushi)*
- 1 large leek, white and pale green parts only, sliced and rinsed well
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-in. matchsticks
- 1 1/2 pounds black cod or Pacific halibut, cut into 1 1/2-in. pieces
- 3/4 pound medium sea scallops (15 to 16 per lb.)
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp (26 to 30 per lb.), peeled, tails left on if you like
- 1/2 cup shiro (sweet white) miso
- 1/2 cup lager (preferably Longboard)
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Thinly sliced shiso leaf* (optional)
- 1. Bring 4 cups water, the ginger, and kombu to a boil in a large, wide pot. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 4 minutes. Turn off heat, sprinkle in bonito flakes, and let sit 3 minutes (flakes will sink). Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- 2. Rinse pot, then pour in broth. Add leek and carrots. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Add black cod and scallops; simmer 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes more.
- 3. Whisk miso with lager in a small bowl. Remove stew from heat and carefully stir in miso mixture. Serve with lemon zest and shiso for topping if you like.
- *Find kombu, a large seaweed sold dried, and bonito flakes with the Asian ingredients at well-stocked supermarkets and at natural-foods or Japanese markets. Find shiso, an aromatic herb, at Japanese markets and some farmers' markets.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note