Miso-Infused Cream Cheese Spread
Photo: Johnny Miller
Cooks in Japan cure all kinds of food in miso, from fish to tofu. Inspired, chef David Myers uses the fermented soybean paste to flavor cream cheese.
More From Food & Wine
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 1 cup (8 ounces) white miso
- Assorted crudités, rice crackers and shichimi togarashi (a Japanese chile-spice blend), for serving
- Tightly wrap the cream cheese in a 12-by-8-inch piece of cheesecloth.
- Lay a 12-inch piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. Using slightly wet hands, spread 1/4 cup of the miso into a rectangle that's roughly the size of the cream cheese. Set the cheesecloth-wrapped cream cheese on top of the miso; spread the remaining 3/4 cup of miso all over the top and sides. Wrap in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 days.
- Unwrap the cream cheese; discard the plastic wrap and cheesecloth. The spread can be served sliced or whipped, with crudités, rice crackers and shichimi togarashi.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note