- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 Japanese eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs. total), cut in half lengthwise and flesh scored 1/4 in. deep
- 1/3 cup yellow or red miso*
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sake or white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- calories 221
- caloriesfromfat 49 %
- protein 4.7 g
- fat 12 g
- satfat 1.6 g
- carbohydrate 24 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- sodium 838 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Preheat broiler with a rack 4 in. from heat source. Heat oil in an ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add eggplant, flesh side down, and cook until flesh starts to brown and soften, about 4 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine miso, sugar, sake, and chile flakes. Turn eggplant flesh side up and brush mixture over it. Broil eggplant in pan until glaze starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds.
*Look for miso, a fermented soybean paste, in the refrigerator aisle of your produce section.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.