Great soup! We were able to find the chayote squash at the time we made the soup and it was fun and different to cook with it. Nice Mexican flavor. However, we haven't been able to find the chayote squash since and haven't tried a regular yellow or zucchini squash instead...yet. I want to make this again!
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 large mirlitons, peeled, seeded, and chopped*
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Chopped bacon (optional)
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add mirliton and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Sprinkle with flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly.
- Stir in corn and next 5 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle each serving with cheese and bacon, if desired.
- * 4 large yellow squash or zucchini, seeded and chopped, may be substituted for mirlitons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews