- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 large mirlitons, peeled, seeded, and chopped*
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Chopped bacon (optional)
How to Make It
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add mirliton and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
Sprinkle with flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly.
Stir in corn and next 5 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle each serving with cheese and bacon, if desired.
* 4 large yellow squash or zucchini, seeded and chopped, may be substituted for mirlitons.