Forget dry and dutiful; these whole-wheat muffins are incredibly moist. The trick is heating the carrots and raisins in water, which softens them nicely before they're added to the flour mixture.
Sunset APRIL 2013
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Put sugar, butter, carrots, raisins, salt, spices, and 1 1/3 cups water in a medium saucepan. Heat over high heat, stirring occasionally, just until mixture comes to a boil.
2. Whisk flours, baking powder, and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Pour in warm carrot mixture. Stir to combine, but do not overmix.
3. Spoon mixture into greased muffin cups.
4. Bake until browned and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
5. Blend cream cheese with zest and serve with muffins.
Go to full version of