Mint and Cumin Pickled Carrots
The size of the carrot pickles depends on the size of the jar; cut them to fit. Or use baby carrots with the tops removed.
Yield: MAKES 1 QUART
- 12 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 8 large spearmint sprigs
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan of boiling water, blanch the carrots for 1 minute. Drain and let cool, then pack the carrots into a 1-quart heatproof jar. Add the mint.
- 2. In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 40 seconds. Let cool, then add to the jar. In a saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, garlic, salt and sugar to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until the salt and sugar dissolve. Ladle the pickling liquid into the jar; if necessary, add more vinegar to cover the carrots. Let the pickles cool, then cover with a lid and refrigerate until flavorful, about 3 weeks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This