- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh serrano chiles
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground toasted cumin
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- calories 17
- caloriesfromfat 11 %
- protein 1 g
- fat 0.2 g
- satfat 0.0 g
- carbohydrate 3.5 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- sodium 81 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In a blender, whirl chiles, onion, and garlic into a smooth paste, adding 2 to 3 tablespoons water as needed to ease blending.
Add mint, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; whirl until smooth, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water as needed to facilitate blending. Scrape into a bowl and add more salt to taste.
Ground toasted cumin: In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir 2 tablespoons cumin seeds often until lightly toasted, 2 to 4 minutes. Whirl in a blender until finely ground. Makes about 2 tablespoons.