I love this recipe. I made a few changes and added mint extract rather then chocolate. I also instead of the ganache filling I put a small frozen ball of chocolate chip cookie dough in the center and then put the mix over the top and baked. When you toothpick check them, place toothpick to the side rather than center of cookie dough. I then followed mint frosting recipe. They are amazing and people will love you and the cupcakes!
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Stretch your baking muscles with these decadent mint chocolate chip cupcakes. Top homemade chocolate cupcakes with a rich chocolate ganache, mint frosting, and chopped creme de menthe chocolate mints for cupcakes that your friends and family are sure to love.
- Chocolate Cake:
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Mint Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops green liquid food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 1 cup crumbled thin creme de menthe chocolate mints
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cocoa and 2 cups boiling water in a large heatproof bowl, stirring until blended and smooth; cool completely. Beat butter with a mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate extract.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely.
- To prepare ganache, cook cream in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until it begins to steam (do not boil); remove from heat. Place chocolate in a glass bowl. Slowly add hot cream to chocolate, beating with a whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is well blended. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Makes about 2 cups.
- Fill each cupcake with Chocolate Ganache. To fill cupcakes, insert the end of a wooden spoon or dowel into the center of the cupcake to make a hole. Fill a zip-top plastic freezer bag with filling or frosting. Use scissors or kitchen shears to snip about 1/4 inch from one corner of the bag; insert bag into the hole in the cupcake. Squeeze gently until filling comes to the top of each cupcake.
- To prepare frosting, beat first 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- Frost each cupcake with Mint Frosting. Top each with crumbled chocolate mints.
At Dreamcakes Bakery, these cupcakes are made with Andes Mints.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note