Miniature Mascarpone-Mint Ganache Cakes
Creamy mint filling and smooth chocolate ganache blend with a moist chocolate cake for a special dessert that got top ratings from our taste-testing panel.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- Powdered sugar
- Garnish: mint leaves
- Sift together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine coffee and 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat until butter melts. Gradually add coffee mixture to flour mixture, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until combined. Add egg, and beat until blended.
- Spoon batter evenly into 6 lightly greased jumbo muffin pans. Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 20 minutes; run a knife around edges of each muffin pan to loosen cakes. Invert cakes onto a wire rack, and cool completely.
- Beat 1/4 cup butter and mascarpone cheese at medium speed until creamy; gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar and extract, beating until smooth.
- Split cooled cakes in half horizontally. Spread cheese mixture between layers and on top and sides of each cake. Freeze cakes 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cream and 1/4 cup mint leaves in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until mixture boils. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a small bowl, discarding mint. Add morsels, stirring until melted.
- Pour ganache over cakes, coating tops and sides. Chill 1 hour or until set. Dust cakes with powdered sugar; garnish, if desired. Store in refrigerator.
- Note: If you don't already own a jumbo muffin pan, this recipe is worth the investment--which doesn't have to be much. Jumbo muffin pans are readily available in a variety of stores from discount super centers to specialty kitchen shops. In addition to creating an assortment of miniature cakes, you can use this pan to make wonderful jumbo bakery-style breakfast muffins. This recipe does not work in regular-size muffin pans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note